Monday, September 22, 2008

Wow, I'm actually understanding it!

This afternoon I finished Volume 1 of Pride and Prejudice!!

I am not sure every edition divides the book into volumes, so I am referring specifically to Chapters 1-23. I gave a friend of mine some of the details as I understand them, and she said that I'm pretty much on Target. (I do need to own up to the fact that I have watched Bride and Prejudice, which is a Bollywood musical version of the story.)

But I think I'm actually getting the hang of the language! The first 15 chapters or so required my intense concentration, but now I'm finding I'm able to stop for a moment to answer a child's question or comment, and come back to my spot and not be disoriented!

For my journaling, I have been writing a short summary at the end of each chapter. I am doing my very best to keep it to 2-3 sentences, which is a challenge because I like to write and include details. I know that must come as a shock, especially if you've read my homeschooling blog! ;) But I'm keeping to the purpose of helping my brain to process what I have read, and in the case of the complex language Austen uses, taking the story and putting it into my own words helps me to make sure that I really know what is going on.

There are a number of words and concepts that I'm not familiar with, but I am underlining and turning down corners to come back to those later!

How is your reading coming along? Please don't feel you have to keep up with my pace! I feel that I need to have at least the first reading done by the end of the month, so I can write about the book in greater detail! But don't feel pressured to do the same! This is supposed to be fun!

No comments: