Thursday, October 23, 2008

Colin as Mr. Darcy?

I've heard from a number of people that Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy would take my breath away. I'm not a huge Colin Firth fan, so I found that pretty hard to believe.

And then, I watched it. Yes, the 6 hour long BBC version on 2 DVDs.

My thoughts?

Well, first... allow me to catch my breath! ;) You see, I just finished watching a few minutes ago. They were right. LISA, you were right!!! I absolutely loved watching Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy! (I loved the actress who played Elizabeth as well) He had this "look", especially in the parlor when she was playing the piano and singing --- oh my GOODNESS! To be looked at like THAT by a man??? WOW! I think I would be faint! ;)

I highly encourage you to rent or borrow this version of the Pride and Prejudice to watch when your reading is complete...or even if you don't finish!! This movie would make you want to dive back into the book and see what you missed! I got my copy from my local Blockbuster.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, words can hardly express how HAPPY I am that you see the magic of this P&P movie! YAY! Yes, Colin was born to play Mr. Darcy, I do think. Yes, that look...... And the smile!

Wee Pip said...

Hi Jen, I'm a friend of Lisa's. I'm not a Colin Firth fan either, but I love the way he glares in the movie. No else can glare quite like that! It fits the role of Darcy to a T. I loved the 6hr P&P and prefer it far above the Keira Knightly version. The Keira Knightly version Darcy is far too soft. I really liked the P&P book, too - the storyline is such a classic, and is used again and again in modern fiction.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Firth was born to play Darcy- or rather he is Darcy. He posses all the nuiances that is necesary for the character to become alive- at least to my thoughts.

Okay- throwing this out there for you-I've read somewhere that some believe that Darcy was austic- to a mild degree.

http://www.autismconnect.org/news.asp?section=00010001&itemtype=news&id=6153

http://www.autismvox.com/diagnosing-mr-darcy/

http://geekbuffet.wordpress.com/2007/07/26/pride-and-prejudice-overanalysis-part-2-this-little-character-has-autism-this-little-character-does-not/

Just wanted to see what you all thought.

Hugs
Marla

Niffercoo said...

Marla, that is actually funny that you bring up Autism/Aspergers! Lisa and I were talking about Mr. Darcy's pride and I had told her that I was seeing his behavior through a more Aspie point-of-view! LOL I thought I was just doing that because Autism/Aspergers is so close to me and my heart, but maybe I wasn't too far off? ;)

And it gives me hope --- if we assume Mr. Darcy has Aspergers (as my son does) and if Mr. Darcy can find love with such a lovely young woman as Miss Elizabeth Bennett, then maybe out there somewhere is a Miss Bennett for my son as well!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that there is a Miss Bennett out there for him too.

Hugs
Marla