Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mr. Darcy

Ok, so I'm not going to do the "beginning, middle, end" summary right now. Man I feel like I'm back in school and I'm skipping out mentally on all the discussion and work of reading challenging stuff! LOL I'll get back to it, this weekend!

But first I'd like to focus on Mr. Darcy for this post!

I spent the first half of the book thinking to myself, "This is the guy that gets compared to Edward? The guy who people make Flair about? Really?!?!" I knew that, at some pointt, he had to come around to where Elizabeth (and myself LOL) like him! And, of course, that does happen, and it seemed to me to be a pretty dramatic change. In fact, I wrote this in my notes for Volume 3, Chapter 2 (or Chapter 44 overall, depending on how your book is set up:

"What is the reason for the drastic change in Darcy? Is it because he is at home and comfortable? Is it merely Elizabeth's perception folowing the revelation in his letter?"

I'll go first, and I'd love to know what your answers are!

I think it's both, really. I think Elizabeth was so blinded by her perception of Mr. Darcy - aided by the lies of Wickham, Darcy's interference in Jane's relationship, and this standard of social behavior that Darcy seems not to be able to live up to - that she cannot stop for a moment to interpret his actions as anything else. For Darcy's part, I think writing the letter was the absolute best option! It gave Elizabeth time to ponder each section, after she had settled down from constantly jumping to conclusions and being offended! And he was able to express himself in a way that is more comfortable to him, a medium in which he feels competent!

For me, my opinion of Darcy was changed by reading the letter as well, and finding out everything that he did for Elizabeth's sister (and her family). And the fact that he did NOT want it to become general knowledge when he had to have known the profound impact it would have on Elizabeth's feelings for him! He is an honorable man who cares deeply for other people. Also, that he realized he was wrong about Jane's feelings for Bingley, and set out to correct his error touched my heart. So often people find out they have made a mistake, but do not follow through in correcting said mistake!

So, all in all, I'm enamoured of Mr. Darcy now, like every other woman who has read P&P! (If you have, and you don't think Mr. Darcy hung the moon, please comment and let me know!) And he does remind me of Edward, but not in the same way. Edward is very comfortable in social graces, so they don't have that same dramatic flaw. Edward DOES have a flaw, I'm sorry to say --- the boy OVER-REACTS when it comes to Bella! :) Like Darcy, when Edward realizes that he has made mistakes, he sets out to correct them (by facilitating the visits to LaPush with Jacob after trying to forbid Bella from doing so).

I've got some thoughts to share about Elizabeth, too, but that will have to be another post! Mr. Darcy deserves his own! ;)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I like focusing on Mr. Darcy, so that's a good idea!

Yes, I think Elizabeth was blinded to his good qualities - prejudiced against him, if you will. And of course, his pride kept him from showing his emotions to anyone except Georgiana and, to some extent, Bingley and maybe Colonel Fitzwilliam. He actually had the same fault he attributed to Jane - not showing his feelings.

But there did come a turning point, definitely. Elizabeth's honesty to him probably opened his eyes somewhat. I'd like to think he saw Bingley's diminished joy and had some second thoughts, but maybe that's too 20th century.

And the letter! Oh, the letter. :-)

I am so glad you are enamoured with Darcy now, like the rest of the women who have read of or viewed him.

Niffercoo said...

Thanks for your comments, Lisa! It never dawned on me that the "Pride" part was referring to Mr. Darcy!

Since this is my first attempt at literature written long before my time, I'm probably guilty of putting too much of the 20th-21st century into my interpretations! :)

dar hamblin said...

Hi Jen

I am so proud of your for accepting such an awesome challenge in reading these books. Good for you!

I love the story of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet because in spite of pride and prejudice on both of their parts they are still able to overcome and find each other. I used to think that the title referred only to Mr. Darcy's pride and prejudice but now I can see that Elizabeth Bennet had plenty of both on her part as well.

We see Elizabeth's pride clearly when he proposes to her--she is offended by the fact that he tells her he loves her in spite of her social status and family, etc. I think she was pretty clear in her pride and she also expected him to behave in a certain way based on his "gentleman" status. When he didn't behave according to her perception she was taken aback. And how about her perception of Mr. Collins--she wouldn't have him and she also thought he wasn't good enough for Charlotte either.

I think their beginning could be comopared to Edward and Bella's in their loathing of one another. Not that Bella necessarily had as strong a dislike toward Edward as he had toward her but I think there were enough negativity there to justify it. Luckily for us readers we find happy endings for both couples!

I agree with you that Edward over-reacts to Bella. Although I think that goes hand in hand with the intensity of his feelings in general for her. I guess we wouldn't necessarily like our heroes if they were absolutely flawless, huh?

Darlene

Niffercoo said...

Darlene, thanks so much for reading and commenting!

I am just sitting here watching the BBC version of P&P, and you are exactly correct: Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth's beginning reminds me a GREAT DEAL of Edward and Bella's early interactions! I hadn't really thought about it until you posted! :) Thanks!