Monday, January 5, 2009

Anne of Green Gables - A Summary

Anne of Green Gables
written by L. M. Montgomery
first published in 1908

Siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert intend to adopt a boy to assist Matthew with the farm work at Green Gables, but a misunderstanding occurs and they are instead presented with a red-headed girl named Anne Shirley. Despite Anne’s temperamental personality and a propensity for getting into trouble with her over-active imagination, the Cuthberts quickly become attached to Anne and decide to keep her. Anne quickly becomes best friends with Diana Barry, and develops an animosity with Gilbert Blythe, whom she competes against in school. Anne grows up, matures, and becomes an excellent student. When she goes away to further her education, she gets accepted into University and is awarded a scholarship. She decides to forego University, however, when she realizes that she is needed on Green Gables. She comes home to Green Gables and agrees to teach at the Avonlea school.

That was by far my easiest summary! I wonder if it was a “third time’s the charm” or if it was because Anne is a simpler book and was much easier to read?

4 comments:

Laura Essendine said...

I see you're set to read Jane Eyre this year and hope you enjoy my favourite book. May I also recommend the BBC adaptation starring Timothy Dalton which remained incredibly faithful to the text and which is (in my opinion) the best adaptation every produced.

With regard to Dracula, this is set in the Yorkshire town of Whitby. Before reading it may I suggest you look at some pictures of Whitby Abbey perched high up on the hill top. It really sets the tone for the opening of the book if you have this real life location in mind.

Happy reading in 2009

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Accidental Guru Blog
The Books Limited Blog

Niffercoo said...

Thanks so much for the movie suggestion, Laura! I'll definitely have to watch it when I'm done reading the book.

And I appreciate the background information for Dracula, too. I guess I assumed Dracula would be set in Transylvania or something!

Thanks for stopping by!

Laura Essendine said...

The story starts out in Whitby and then moves elsewhere. I bought and began reading the book in the town and could identify the areas the author talked about. It really added to the "Dracula Experience" for me.

There's a Dracula Museum in Whitby which is the most beautiful coastal town imaginable. it was also the home of Capt James Cook who discovered Australia and Hawaii. There's lots of info and pictures online.

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Accidental Guru Blog
The Books Limited Blog

Sherry said...

Very concise!! Good job, Oh Faithful Leader!! :-)