Monday, March 2, 2009

Sense and Sensibility - A Summary

Sense and Sensibility
by Jane Austen
first published in 1811

Sisters Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are very close, but have decidedly different personalities. The two young women each find love and feel quite secure in their attachments. However, both women are proved wrong when the objects of their affections reveal engagements to other women. Marianne openly displays her despondence, while Elinor keeps her feelings to herself, not only because her temperament requires it, but also in an attempt to protect Marianne's feelings. Ultimately, Marianne comes to terms with the ending of her relationship with Willoughby, and realizes that his selfishness would have ruled their lives. Meanwhile, Elinor despairs to find her beloved Edward Ferrars has married the foolish Lucy, only to learn that it was a mistake and that Lucy was instead married to Edward's brother, Robert. Elinor and Edward are married quickly and find a happy living on the property of Colonel Brandon. Over the next 2 years, Marianne finds her heart and mind's affections changed towards Colonel Brandon, who has adored Marianne from the first moment he saw her. They are ultimately married, and everyone is happy.

1 comment:

tatyanawaslike said...

Hi there Niffercoo :) My name is Tatyana, I'm 17 years old and from California. I'm a homeschooling student very interested in the project you have outlined here!!! Unfortunately it seems I have stumbled across your blog too late and missed out on reading quite a few of the books on Bella's Bookshelf with you, but I think I'll do this in my own time. I would love to talk more about your experiences as a homeschooling mom or literature so please feel free to send me an email at tatyana18ray@gmail.com