Sunday, June 7, 2009

Brave New World - a summary

Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley
first published 1932

This story takes place more than 500 years after Henry Ford invented the Model T. People are not born, but rather are "decanted" into distinct groups: Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, and Epsilon. Each group has its own "place" within the order of the world, and are decanted and conditioned during childhood to fulfill that "place". Everyone is happy and carefree. Except Bernard Marx, and his friend Helmholtz Watson, who feel inexplicably discontent and frustrated with their lives. After a trip to a Reservation in North America, Bernard returns to London with a "savage", a man who was not raised in civilization. The three men eventually meet their different fates when they cannot submit their will to the good of the community.

5 comments:

Juju said...

Some one was just telling me about this book. I'm anxious to see what you think. Where in the book is it mentioned?

Niffercoo said...

Brave New World wasn't actually mentioned in any of the Twilight series. It was just the Austen books, Shakespeare, Animal Farm, and the poetry of Tennyson. I took the liberty of adding in some books that I found on reading lists for high school literature classes - books Bella probably would have read (maybe before she came to Forks! LOL).

Juju said...

Ohhh good thinking. I'm going to add it to my reading list as well.

Lisa said...

I should probably read it. I don't remember actually reading it. I DO remember my mil reading it - it came in a set of leather bound books she subscribed to. She thought it was so terrible that she threw it away. Leather bound!!

Niffercoo said...

I can see why she threw it away, Lisa. But I think it's particularly interesting to read right now considering the direction our country/world is heading.

Juju, just be prepared for the sexual nature of the book, which was for me very disturbing.